Fossil Springs Waterfall Trail
Time & Location
About the Event
Hey there Troop 109!
We have a plan! Fossil Springs Waterfall Trail via Camp Verde. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/fossil-creek-waterfall-trail. We will camp in the forest somewhere off the 260 that afternoon and come home Sunday morning.
Meet at the church at 6:30 am for a 7am departure. I'm sorry this is so early but the parking lots fill up at Fossil Creek and the lower the lot, the longer the hike. There are spectacular waterfalls and lots of swimming along the creek so wear hiking/walking shoes, carry a lunch and lots of water and swim gear. There are no permits required after October 1. If you want to come just for the day, you are welcome to join us.
Also!!! This is supposed to be a service outing at Palace Station, but we have an opportunity to help the area of Fossil Springs. Each hiker should carry a large garbage bag to fill on the way out. The reviews I've seen say people are still leaving a lot of garbage in the area. I will have a prize for the boy that picks up the most!
Everything else below still applies...
Come prepared for car camping. Bring water and your own food for lunch and dinner Saturday and breakfast on Sunday. Please let Yatzana know if you need to cancel your reservation.
See you all soon!
READ THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT IN DETAIL – SPECIFIC AREAS TO PAY ATTENTION TO:
-MEAL PLANNING - AMENDED
Please read all information as due to COVID, safety guidelines will need to be followed to ensure a safe camping experience.
1) Up to Date Youth Protection required for all adults attending.
2) Health Form A / B1 / B2 required from all Scouts and Adults attending. The form can be scanned and emailed to Yatzee or provided the day of the camp out. You or your Scout cannot attend any outings or events without an updated Health Form on file as it is a BSA Requirement. These forms are used in case of an emergency.
Form can be downloaded from: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-001_ABC.pdf
***Form C will be needed for Summer Camp, Mini High, and High Adventure, but can be provided at a later date.
***If you have any questions feel free to reach out to Yatzee at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID COMPLIANT CAMP OUT REQUIREMENTS
1) Temperature will be checked prior to departure.
2) Face Mask must be worn at all times by Scouts and Adults
4) Adults attending are asked to assist with social distancing, hygiene, mask wearing, etc.
5) Older scouts should treat the camp out as a back packer and bring and prepare their own meals.
6) All Scouts should sleep in their own tent, unless you are family. Please advise if a tent is needed.
7) Tents will need to be placed 6 feet apart
8) Scouts and Adults must remain and communicate 6 feet apart, unless there is an emergency
North Scottsdale United Methodist Church
11735 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Meet at 6:30 AM for 7:00 AM departure
Fossil Creek is located about 22 miles southeast of Camp Verde (86 miles south of Flagstaff) off paved and dirt roads. Fossil Creek Rd. (FR 708) and Childs Rd. (FR 502) are steep and very rough. These roads may be extremely muddy, slippery, and treacherous after it rains.
THE CREEK AND WATERFALL CANNOT BE ACCESSED BY CAR FROM STRAWBERRY, ARIZ.! A portion of Forest Road 708 is closed from Bob Bear (formerly Fossil Springs) Trailhead to Waterfall Trailhead due to hazardous cliff collapse and damage to the road. The only way to access the Waterfall Trailhead by motor-vehicle is to take the road from Camp Verde.
Access via Camp Verde: From Interstate 17, exit 287, turn east on State Route 260 towards Payson and travel 10 miles. Between mile 228 and 229, Forest Road 708 (Fossil Creek Road) will intersect SR 260 on the right, signed as Fossil Creek/Verde River. Travel 14 miles down this rough dirt road to the trailhead parking on the left.
GPS (Map): 34°24'18.0"N 111°36'50.3"W
This is one of those trips that we cannot do without carpooling to ensure as many Scouts as possible attend. Ensure you plan on driving your own scout or you work individually with Registered Troop Adults on a car pool plan and any expected Covid practices for that specific carpool. In the invite please document who you will be carpooling with and please ensure that you and/or Scout are wearing a mask throughout the trip.
NOTES - In the invite please document the following:
1) How many seat-belts you have available to give a Scout / Parent a Ride if you are consenting to carpool
2) If you plan to depart ahead of the group
3) If you are coming up on Saturday
MEALS - AMENDED SINCE LAST INVITE
We will not be able to accommodate a group Kitchen, hence please bring your own meals.
1) Saturday Breakfast - Eat before leaving or on the road
2) Saturday Lunch - Bring a Sack Lunch
3) Saturday Dinner - Make Your Own Meal
4) Sunday Breakfast - Make Your Own Meal
WHAT TO BRING
1) Face Mask (at least 2 in case you lose one)
2) Hand Sanitizer / Sanitation Wipes
3) Sack Lunch
4) Jet Boil or other Cooking Device
5) Camping Gear in Pack
6) Camel Pack or Day Pack
7) Minimum of 1-2 Gallons of Water PP
8) 2 Nalgene’s Minimum
9) Hiking Shoes / Water Shoes
10) Night Lamp
11) First Aid / Survival Kit
12) Sweater as it tends to be chilly at night
13) Swim Gear
14) Garbage Bag
WHAT WILL WE BE DOING?
2) Advancement Review (bring your books)
3) Service Work - Bring (1) Garbage Bag PP on Trail to pick up trash on the way out.