Sat, Dec 07|
Between Superior and Globe
Mistletoe Harvesting - No Camping Church Arrival 8 AM - 8:30 AM Departure
This is the gathering part where we go somewhere between Superior and Globe and cut the mistletoe off the trees. Fun!
Time & Location
Dec 07, 2019, 8:30 AM
Between Superior and Globe, Just past mile marker 239, Meet as group and head into Mistletoe area.
About the Event
Church arrival on Saturday 8AM
Church Departure on Saturday : 8:30 AM
Somewhere before getting to Globe there are a lot of trees infested with the parasitic plant known as Mistletoe. We go out, find it, cut it off the trees (which is a good thing), snip it into small sprigs, and bag it. Then, about a week later, we put them into individual bags with small tags that tell the history of the tradition of mistletoe at Christmas time. Add a small bow then off they go for sale.
Our bunch of harvesters will go out to our top secret location and cut mistletoe from the trees. This only took about two-three hours to collect last time.
Right now, we expect everyone to bring a sack lunch for Saturday. Plan to eat breakfast before you arrive at the church at 8AM.
WHAT TO BRING
1. WARM clothes
2. Pants (avoid shorts as you will be in the brush)
3. 4 Nalgene’s minimum
4. First Aid Kit
5. SUN BLOCK
6. Hat – Protection from Sun
7. Raincoat – In case of incremental weather
8. Saws, Pole Saws, Pruners, WORK GLOVES
9. Black Trash Bags (Troop to Provide)
10. Sack Lunch for Saturday Afternoon
11. We are asking adults to volunteer to take Scouts without gas reimbursement since this is only a 1/2 day outing.
WEATHER: High 60 LOW 43