Sat, Dec 05|
Between Superior and Globe
Mistletoe Harvesting - No Camping Church Arrival 8 AM - 8:30 AM Departure
This is the gathering part where we go somewhere between Superior and Globe and cut the mistletoe off the trees. Fun!
Time & Location
Dec 05, 2020, 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Between Superior and Globe, Just past mile marker 239, Meet as group and head into Mistletoe area.
About the Event
Please read all information as due to COVID, safety guidelines will need to be followed to ensure a safe camping experience.
Somewhere before getting to Globe there are a lot of trees infested with the parasitic plant known as Mistletoe. We go out, find it, cut it off the trees (which is a good thing), snip it into small sprigs, and bag it. Then, about a week later, we put them into individual bags with small tags that tell the history of the tradition of mistletoe at Christmas time. Add a small bow then off they go for sale.
Our bunch of harvesters will go out to our top secret location and cut mistletoe from the trees. This only took about two-three hours to collect last time.
***WE WILL NOT BE CAMPING***
WHAT: Mistletoe Collection
WHEN: Saturday, December 5th
DEPARTURE: Meet at 8:00 AM for 8:30 AM departure from North Scottsdale United Methodist Church - 11735 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
ARRIVAL: Turnoff for Pinto Valley Mine. Meet as group and head into Mistletoe area. (just past mile marker 239)
Mistletoe Location: between Superior and Globe, AZ on the south side of the highway about here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PjipDjienLQCkfN9A
COVID COMPLIANT ITEMS
1. Face Mask Required
2. Hand Sanitizer
WHAT TO BRING
1. WARM clothes
2. Pants (avoid shorts as you will be in the brush)
3. 4 Nalgene’s minimum
4. First Aid Kit
5. SUN BLOCK
6. Hat – Protection from Sun
7. Raincoat – In case of incremental weather
8. Saws, Pole Saws, Pruners, WORK GLOVES
9. Black Trash Bags (Troop to Provide)
10. Sack Lunch for Saturday Afternoon
WEATHER: High 60 LOW 43
COVID COMPLIANT REQUIREMENTS
1. Temperature will be checked prior to departure.
2. Face Mask must be worn at all times by Scouts and Adults
3. Adults attending are asked to assist with social distancing, hygiene, mask wearing, etc.
4. Scouts and Adults must remain and communicate 6 feet apart, unless there is an emergency
We are limiting carpooling due to COVID. Carpooling is approved as long as you checked individually with Registered Troop Adults on a car pool plan and any expected Covid practices for that specific carpool. In the invite please document who you will be carpooling with and please ensure that you and/or Scout are wearing a mask throughout the trip.