Snow Outing 2019
Time & Location
About the Event
This year, we’ll be going back to a favorite site: See Canyon (more on the location here: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=117).
Here’s a Troop video shot at a 109 snow outing to See Canyon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqA7aPFIjY
DEPART: Meet at the church SATURDAY morning at 8:00AM, depart by 8:30AM. We will meet up at the Tall Pines Market in Christopher Creek. Google driving directions to Tall Pines Market: http://bit.ly/1QfDsVt
RETURN: As soon as we can Sunday (probably 11AM – noonish)
WEATHER: As of now, unknown, but let’s just say it could be CRISP.
WHAT TO BRING: Plan on sunny in the 50s by day and down to low 30s by night.
- Clothing: Bring plenty of layers of clothing to play in, plenty of dry layers of clothing to sleep in. A dry change of socks a MUST. Snow or waterproof boots are best, hiking shoes second best, regular tennis shoes….you will freeze. If tennis shoes are the only option, a second dry pair for AFTER playing in the snow is required.
- Gear: Standard base camp (car camping) equipment.
- Bedding: All scouts must have some insulation between them and the tent floor. Thermarest style sleeping pads are good. A few layers of thick blanket will do in a pinch. If you bring blankets, please try to pack them as compactly as possible so everybody’s gear will fit. Please mark all items with your last name.
- Day Pack: The standard Camelbak style day pack. Must have 2 Nalgenes of water, survival kit and sack lunch in the day pack.
- Sack Lunch (to be put in day pack – see above)
- $25 - one $10 bill for the driver to cover gas. $15 for breakfast at Denny’s in Payson Sunday morning.
- Small sleds and other compact snow toys
FOOD: Hot dinner will be cooked in camp Saturday night for everyone (Chilli Mac). Everybody needs to bring a sack lunch, snacks and money for Sunday morning breakfast.
ACTIVITIES: Drive up to campsite Saturday morning. Drop gear and set up camp. If there is not enough snow, we will take a hike to the rim. Otherwise, there should be plenty of sledding.
FIREWOOD: It would be great if a few people could bring some dry firewood just in case the only wood up there is wet.